Now Hiring: Senior Manager, Campaign Research & Development, Voices for Healthy Kids
Voices for a Healthy Kids, a joint initiative of the American Heart Association and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, is working to improve the health of all children by supporting public policies that increase access to healthy foods, safe places for physical activity, reduce the consumption of sugary beverages, and eliminate junk food marketing for children. We focus on policy priorities that research shows will have the greatest effect on communities and populations at most risk - and we need your help! Our Sr. Manager, Campaign Research & Development is key to making a healthier generation a reality.
The Senior Manager, Campaign Research and Development is responsible for the coordination of the research and development of tactical resources to support state and community-level public policy campaigns. These resources are developed by the internal campaign and strategy development staff team as well as external sources, including vendors and partners such as Robert Wood Johnson Foundation-funded programs, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and other public health and advocacy organizations. This position supervises the Media Advocacy Manager, Grassroots Advocacy Manager, and Policy Research Manager.
Essential job duties:
- Manage the overall approach to effective tool development for issue advocacy campaigns at the state and local level. Coordinate the research and development of tactical field resources for issue advocacy campaigns, including media advocacy, grassroots strategies and policy research.
- Direct the Voices for Healthy Kids Action Center, which is an online grassroots network of thousands of supporters that are mobilized to support grassroots tactics to advance issue advocacy campaigns all around the country.
- Manage and contribute to the development of public opinion and message research designed to help enhance the effectiveness of the messaging utilized by Voices for Healthy Kids related issue advocacy campaigns.
- Support the development of the Voices for Healthy Kids policy agenda, including the annual review of the policy priorities and the development of new policy priorities, in coordination with the American Heart Association’s Vice President of Policy Research and Translation.
- Serve on the Voices for Healthy Kids Senior Management Team and attend all relevant Voices for Healthy Kids meetings as well as external meetings, as appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree in political science, public policy, law, journalism or a related field of study.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience managing legislative, issue or ballot campaigns at the local, state or national level.
- Demonstrated knowledge of local, state and federal government activities and structures. Ability to assess and understand the needs of state and local advocates in pursuing public policy change in their community.
- Successful experience with building or demonstrated understanding of health equity and role it plays in public policy.
- Successful experience executing or managing community organization/organizing, mobilization, media advocacy, and grassroots advocacy efforts.
- Successful experience managing staff.
- Must be able to travel overnight approx. 15% of the time.